We began in 1993 as a small, volunteer-run organisation. As a result of the commitment and dedication of key members and staff, Pozhet is now a state-wide Government-funded agency.
We have an important role in responding to the needs of our members. We do this by:
- Running community education sessions and peer support events to keep our members informed and connected
- Linking our members with health and social services
- Developing information resources specific to the needs of positive heterosexuals
- Providing education to the health workforce to improve services for positive heterosexuals
- Representing and advocating for positive heterosexuals in a range of Government and non-government settings
- Partnering with other services and researchers on projects in the HIV sector
Health Promotion Officer – Susan
Susan has over 15 years experience working at community based organisations such as ACON and NUAA and has been at Pozhet since 2010. She has experience and qualifications in adult education, information management and community development and has facilitated and developed peer education and advocacy programs with people who inject drugs at NUAA. Susan currently project manages the website and social media, provides client support and education, coordinates Pozhet events and develops resources alongside other staff.
Website and Database Administrator – Peter
Peter has been with Pozhet for a number of years, and has been HIV positive since the early 1980’s. Peter is our web administrator and database manager.
Pozhet is funded by the NSW Ministry of Health to promote the health and wellbeing of heterosexuals with HIV, their partners and family across NSW.
Pozhet is located and managed day-to-day through the Community HIV Service in the Sydney Local Health District.
Pozhet has an Advisory Committee and a Consumer Group to guide its programs.
Pozhet Consumer Group
Pozhet’s Consumer Group is drawn from its members. Members may include men and women living heterosexually with HIV and their partners who live in NSW. At least one member must be from a regional area.
The Pozhet Consumer Group guides Pozhet’s projects and priorities through consultation, suggestion and feedback. The Group meets at least three times a year.