On Saturday March 8 Pozhet held a day for women living with HIV and women partners of positive men. It was a fun day, with tips on health and exercise and included a delicious healthy lunch! Dimi Harpas, an experienced Dietitian, gave a presentation about healthy eating…
- Aim for a balance of protein, carbohydrate, fruits and vegetables: i.e. at mealtimes, try dividing your plate into half a plate of vegetables, one quarter carbohydrate and one quarter protein
- Get your protein from lean meats, fish, chicken, eggs, legumes and nuts
- Get your carbohydrates from wholegrains (which are low GI), brown rice, legumes, fruits and vegetables
- Aim for four serves of wholegrains per day, two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables.
- Include some dairy in your diet to keep you fuller for longer and for calcium e.g natural yoghurt
- Snack on healthy foods between meals, such as nuts, fruit and yoghurt
- Limit foods with excessive sugar (aim for less than 10%, i.e. less than 10g per 100g)
- Choose low-fat options when possible (aim for less than 10%, i.e. less than 10g per 100g)
- Allow yourself treats occasionally
- Try to eat fresh food as much as possible, and limit overly processed foods
- Eat slowly, listen to your appetite and enjoy your food!
What kind of things do you do to stay healthy? Share your tips with others by posting a comment…